The organizing council of New Salem Baptist Church first met on April 21, 1845, at the Asbury Meeting House. The newly organized body of believers immediately saw growth with missionary William Cate, principal founder of the church, serving as its first pastor.
For just over a year, church services were held in the home of John Hunter, who would later donate both the land and necessary lumber for the original church building. New Salem Baptist Church met in its first permanent facility on March 18, 1848.
To read a detailed history of New Salem, click here.